Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pictures, Electron Beams, Antifas & Delegates

Well everybody, this is basically going to be photos and comments on them. I'll try to give you some context. And I'm writing this in parts when I have free time (currently about to leave for Berlin Mid-year Seminar in 5 minutes... so yeah).

To get this out of the way: I HAVE AN INTERNSHIP NOW!!!
I will be working at the Fraunhofer FEP Institute in Dresden for 4 weeks, aka Physics Research! (their PV research team didn't have any open spots). 
I'm a little confused as to how I'm going to pull this off myself, but I'm excited!
I will be helping design a new experiment, wherein we use Electron Beams to reconstitute paper. I'll be setting up the apparatus and then running some experiments!


Militär Historisches Museum, visited with my awesome History class. It's really hard but I'm getting tons of historical perspective of Germany. This building (very architecture!) and the ones around it for e.x used to be Barracks for the Russian army in Dresden during the cold war, i.e where Putin was stationed!


I had the great luck of being able to attend the Green Party national convention for the European Election this year. Very exciting and my friends from the Grüne Jugend were there and they were very nice and showed me around. Met some awesome people. Saw some democracy.
 I WENT ON STAGE BTW!!! The GJ did a spontaneous action against TTIP (which I actually support but whatever) before the delegates voted on the programm (which ended up support a redrafting). We went up on stage and played out the EU and US inviting their corporate friends (monsanto, google, Vattenfall etc.) to hang out and exclude the Delegates (b/c one concern is that these deals will be made without elected officials), there was much confetti, obviously played the USA.. And then the "good guys" (Greenpeace, Deutsche Bund, The Greenparty, PETA, NWF etc.) came to defeat us and ensure that we weren't jeopardizing  environmental policies.  And then we all chanted "Stop TTIP" for a minute and that was that. 
Although this action was obviously generalized, and I didn't agree with it. It was really really fun!



Courtyard swag at Messe Dresden where the convention was held

Bravely went up to Jurgen Trittin (very tall) to ask him a question about EEG and Decentralization and get a picture.
btw the guy in the crook of Jurg's neck was also with GJ and was superl chill.


February 13th marks the anniversary of the bombing of Dresden near the end of WW2. It was a devastating event that still bears a scar on the city to this day. Those of you who have read Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" may be familiar. 

It has become tradition to honor this memorial with a city organized "Menschenkette", a chain of people holding hands that goes all the way around the  city center and lasts for ten minutes as bells ring. I somehow ended up with the group of people who organized the Menschenkette, so we got white vests and we walked around telling people where to line up. It was really fun and then suddenly very solemn as the bells rang all around us, standing there holding hands with strangers in the night. 

Unfortunately in the last decade or so, radical nationalist conservatives and neonazis have attempted to use the memorial as an occasion to demonstrate against immigrants or whatever. Luckily in response there has been a massive citizen backlash from the group "Dresden Nazifrei" (free of nazis), which has reduced the number of extremist demonstrators to a tenth of what it started at, and this year there were absolutely no Nazi demonstrations on the 13th !(there was something on the 12th but most importantly it's not on the memorial day anymore)
Although, it turns out alot of self labeled Antifas (Anti-fascists, punks with a cause) were still out and about makin' a ruckus, and there were tons of riot police for safe measure, but it was maneagable.  In the end it just turned into a dance party and I was with people from Grüne Jugend and it was just fun and exciting to get to be there and see everything unfold. 



I visited a DDR museum with my guest family. Here you see a model of a classroom.
Notice the dear leader Walter Ulbricht keeping safe watch over the party's children.


Freie Deutsche Jugend. It was a state run scouting organisation that most DDR school
kids were a part of. "On the side of the Comrades", and then similar to the BSA "Always Prepared!"

Got Milk?

The Swagtastic 4. A Honecker and Pieck sandwich with Marx and Engels bread. Yum.
What a lovely living room!


The Kölner Dom (aka Gothic Skyscraper)! I got to visit my guest relatives Claudi and Kaja in Nordrhein-Westphalen. It was awesome! The Cathedral still isn´t done btw, so naturally there are a few jokes about the world ending or the rapture happening upon it´s completion!


Haha! The Kölner Dom is giving the Ludwig Museum bunny ears,
those silly buildings! What is my life?!

The week I was there was Karneval (same thing as mardi gras). It's a really big deal in the Ruhrgebiet. I saw some very questionable and some creative costumes. This is the set up for a big parade.

Westfalen Stadion. The home of the soccer team BVB Dortmund. The biggest stadium in Germany (80k, it was sold out that day!), and the site of Jack's very first live pro-soccer game. 3-0 gegen Nürnberg gewonnen!

Ultras German's love soccer a lot! There's absolutely no comparing this level of fandom to anything in the US. They have massive flags, there are clubs that buy out entire seating blocks, there is choreography, there are chants. It was a really unique experience and It was awesome to get to be there with Chris and Domi and Kaja.



And then we went to a TV tower in Dortmund, really cool view from up there!

Ok now I'm back in Dresden. I went to Ash Wednesday at the Hofkirche. I don't think I'd ever been to a Catholic mass before, and I'd never been to  mass in german before either, but structurally it was the same as at home except a Bishop was there and they had the incense smokey thing on a chain that they swung. It was really hard to understand anything because of the acoustics and the more formal language. Overall, it was very spiritual and soul searching, as you would expect from sitting silently in a 300 year old Baroque Cathedral built by August II. (elector of Saxony and king of Poland), bombed to rubble during WWII and rebuilt in the DDR, sitting amidst throngs of humanity from all backgrounds in the secular and contemporary city of Dresden.

I got to have an unforgettable weekend in Meißen as part of a seminar organised by a friend of mine from Grüne Jugend (good job Clara!) for the German youth foundation. The theme was politics. We were hosted by the evangelical academy of Meißen in an extremely cool, 700 year old monastery. There were great workshops with politicians, and very perceptive discussions. I met some absolutely wonderful people too! My roommate Timm actually turned out to be a former YFU student!



We had a little party in the cellar on the last night, I got to play a few songs and they all liked it so much that they gave me a bottle of Meißner Wein! This year has definitely been great for my self confidence, and learning not to be afraid of judgement (I'll do a seperate post). I played a song I wrote for the first time in front of a crowd, and now I'm much more comfortable playing in front of people.


Watcha lookin' at Paula?


Ludwig Richter's Haus!

1 comment:

  1. I first saw this post with only photos and no comments. Love it with the comments and the link to the soccer choreography - I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete